Hey,
First things first, thank you for visiting.
Since 2008 I have created and deleted 4 accounts.
Why?
Well, being an immigrant, social networking sites have been a great way to stay connected with family and loved ones back home and maintain relationships with people who I have connected with over the years.
In that regard, Facebook has been more or less a net positive. However, it also has had a downside.
In short, I just don't like how people interact on the medium and more importantly, I don't like how I act on it.
Maybe I'll get into it in another post one day but suffice it to say, my Facebook me is not who I am, who I want to be, nor who I want others to know me to be. Facebook is a collage of various snapshots of musings and thoughts at the best of times and elicits reactions devoid of context at the worst.
Another reason is that it can be rather vampiristic as we put time and energy composing snippets of text that are simply lost in the void. We are subject to a refreshing feed of seemingly endless posts, some thought-provoking and some the opposite of thought-provoking––banal, insipid, thought-revoking?
This is not to say that every time someone copies and pastes a link or digitally represents their thoughts through taps on a screen it must be something purposeful or meaningful; some of the best moments of our lives are laughs from the dumbest jokes we've ever heard.
It's just that I feel a sense of loss whenever I catch myself mindlessly scrolling through a "timeline" that isn't "time"-based but actually some construction of an algorithm curating what it lets me see.
We are all bereaved of our time, energy, and thoughts while are musings have been monetized for unimaginable profits... but that's another post.
Therefore, this blog is in a way reclaiming my timeline––my space––on the internet. And I suggest you do the same.
Peace
First things first, thank you for visiting.
So, I have been wanting to "quit Facebook" for over 10 years and I have at times.
Since 2008 I have created and deleted 4 accounts.
Why?
Well, being an immigrant, social networking sites have been a great way to stay connected with family and loved ones back home and maintain relationships with people who I have connected with over the years.
In that regard, Facebook has been more or less a net positive. However, it also has had a downside.
In short, I just don't like how people interact on the medium and more importantly, I don't like how I act on it.
Maybe I'll get into it in another post one day but suffice it to say, my Facebook me is not who I am, who I want to be, nor who I want others to know me to be. Facebook is a collage of various snapshots of musings and thoughts at the best of times and elicits reactions devoid of context at the worst.
Another reason is that it can be rather vampiristic as we put time and energy composing snippets of text that are simply lost in the void. We are subject to a refreshing feed of seemingly endless posts, some thought-provoking and some the opposite of thought-provoking––banal, insipid, thought-revoking?
This is not to say that every time someone copies and pastes a link or digitally represents their thoughts through taps on a screen it must be something purposeful or meaningful; some of the best moments of our lives are laughs from the dumbest jokes we've ever heard.
It's just that I feel a sense of loss whenever I catch myself mindlessly scrolling through a "timeline" that isn't "time"-based but actually some construction of an algorithm curating what it lets me see.
We are all bereaved of our time, energy, and thoughts while are musings have been monetized for unimaginable profits... but that's another post.
Therefore, this blog is in a way reclaiming my timeline––my space––on the internet. And I suggest you do the same.
Peace

Comments
Post a Comment